Children & Contact

Here at Eden Solicitors, we are specialists in dealing with matters relating to children following a divorce or separation. Contact us to discuss anything related to child contact (sometimes called child custody), or child residence.

Following a family breakdown, the needs of any children involved are of the highest importance. Therefore the law in relation to children is clearly based on what is in their best interests and not the best interests of the parents.

It is important to ensure that arrangements for things such as where the children will live, when and how often they will have contact with the non-resident parent and where they will go to school are all agreed.

In practice, the law prefers voluntary agreements between parents rather than court-imposed settlements as it is judged that voluntary agreements are more likely to succeed in the long run. The courts will only usually become involved if both parents are unable to reach a suitable compromise.

To legally end a marriage in this jurisdiction you must show that you have been married for at least a year and 1 day. Our divorce solicitors can advise you on how you should provide the court with this information, including translating foreign certificates, if necessary.

It is commonly said that “there are five grounds of divorce”. This is not actually the case under the law of England and Wales; to legally end your marriage you will have to show that your relationship with your partner has irretrievably broken down.

Contact Our Friendly Legal Team Today